Probably you’ve heard of WordPress before, but what is it exactly?
Content Management system
WordPress is a content management system (CMS). A CMS is made to make you manage content easier. In the past you had to edit your static HTML files and upload them through FTP. Now you can edit your website content in the browser.
WordPress .org or .com
WordPress has two different versions. The .com version and the .org version. When you use the .com version, you get a bit of server space at the WordPress website. Your website url will look like www.yourdomain.wordpress.com. When you want to lose the WordPress in your domainname, you have to get a paid account. The WordPress options are limited on the .com version.
.org is a self-hosted version of WordPress. You download the latest WordPress version and upload it on your own server. It’s free and the sky is the limit. Everything is possible.
Some WordPress tips from me.
- When you use a .org installation add SSL for a secure website.
- You can buy a template, but not all the templates are great. Try to figure out if the template of choose is responsive and the code is valid.
- Secure your website with a security plug-in like iThemes security.
- Create your form with a form plug-in like WPforms.
- And try to not use plug-ins for everything. It can low your website.